- First, take your patients weight in pounds (that's right, pounds!).
- Then drop the last number off the weight
- Then subtract 2
- This will be your gtts/min.
148 lbsdrop the last number14subtract 214 - 2 = 1212 gtts/min.
5mcg/kg x 67kg x 60gtts/ml400mg/250ml x min5mcg/kg x 67kg x 60gtts/ml1600mcg/ml x min5 x 67 x 60gtts1600 x min
Try this with a few other weights and see what you come up with. This is easier than the dopamine clock method, so I am not going to teach that. I will show you the clock for lidocaine though.
- First you must mix your bag, 2gm in 500cc, or 1gm in 250cc
- Use a mini drip (60gtts/ml)
- This will give you a concentration of 4mg/ml
- Look up the dose you need per min. (example 2mg/min)
- Run your dose at the setting according to the clock.
100ml x 10gtts/ml = 1,ooo
1,000/10 = 100answer: 100gtts/min